September 18th 2010. I made my very first trip to Chelsea in Manhattan along with my mom. I’ve lived in New York all my life and I feel there is still so much more I have yet to see. At first, I didn’t expect to find much in Chelsea but I was very wrong. Once I got to W14th Street and 9th avenue I already decided I liked the neighborhood (partly due to the fact that there was a really nice Apple store I’d never been to). It was a beautiful sunny day a bit windy and cloudy but still a great day to spend with my mother in Manhattan. Our main goal was to go walk The High Line Park but we found ourselves walking around buying some jewelry and movies, spending money we shouldn’t have been spending, haha. After spending a pretty penny, we headed to The High Line. Once getting up there we learned more about it. Although it is now a park that opened to the public just last year it was once an elevated freight railroad called the West Side Line built and opened in 1934. I thought it was so cool that a piece of history was taken and redesigned into an aerial greenway/park. Each NYC neighborhood is filled with it’s own history but I loved how Chelsea displayed it so grandly from the cobblestones on the street to all the buildings that still stand after decades. I felt like I walked right into old New York and I really appreciated looking at it all. Chelsea made me want to look back into history and see what New York used to be.
-Brittney Alvarez
=)

No comments:
Post a Comment