Even though I am a native New Yorker, I rarely was brought to the city when I was a young child. I have lived on Staten Island for my entire existence ... Unfortunately. Staten Island is one of the five boroughs of New York City but I see it was the forgotten borough. When you think of New York City, the “Big Apple”, monstrous skyscrapers, angry taxi drivers, bright lights, and commotion in every which way you turn comes to mind. But Staten Island is hands down one of the most boring places to ever live. It is more of the suburban lifestyle way of living. And that’s definitely not for me. So it was always a pleasant surprise to being leaving the island for a short period of time. As I got older the city was always my favorite place to visit. Since it was only one ferry ride away it was more like an escape from this dull island.
September 17th, 2010 I chose to visit Little Italy. My Aunt had told me Little Italy was an endearing small “town” that was only span a couple blocks long mainly on Mulberry Street. So we decided it was the most perfect time of year to explore because it was the San Gennaro Feast. My Aunt Melanie has went to the feast before but we established we would have to experience it together this year. The San Gennaro Feast has been going on for 84 years. It’s a celebration that no body should miss out on.
Even before you even turn onto Mulberry Street you can hear the sounds Italian music and of people enjoying themselves. When you are actually on Mulberry you can barely move. There are so many people walking around, eating, talking, shopping and much more. The feast basically consisted of foreigners and tourists studying and enjoying their surroundings. The outdoor cafes were jam packed so instead we shopped and walked around for a while but it was mostly cheap knockoff items being sold. By far my favorite part of the entire trip was the massive amounts of delicious food I had eaten. The food is essentially all Italian delicates from dinner foods, snacks, and desserts. My cravings went from one extreme to the next, from sausage and peppers to cannolis. But thankfully the feast had it all. I would recommend going to Little Italy during this time period. The feast lasts for 11 days and ends on the 26th of September. Little Italy was a quaint town that you can always go back without much change being done to it. You might even forget you’re in New York City for a couple of hours.
By: Elizabeth Wright
No comments:
Post a Comment