Sunday, September 19, 2010

Long Isalnd Surprises.

Let me start off by saying New York will always be my home. Queens, to be specific. I love that I live in such a diverse neighborhood, where everyone knows each other, and there’s always something to do. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Personally, I've never thought much of the city. Maybe it’s because I despise public transportation and walking long distances (I'd much rather take a long drive). Never the less, even during the short time i lived there I didn't like it much. Don’t get me wrong, the buildings, night life, and the restaurants are great, but is it worth that horrible train ride and 2 mile walk?

My cousins moved to Babylon, Long Island about 5 years ago. I've probably been to Long Island twice my whole life and never really thought much of it. It seems very quiet and pretty boring. Let’s just say my whole perspective changed after my last visit. After the hour long drive, I finally arrived to my cousins beautiful home. I quickly found parking (which was a first), and began to go on the tour of what seemed to be a small mansion. We spent the day in her backyard with the rest of my family. Long Island has such a fresh and clean aroma to it that makes you want to sit outside all the time no matter what the weather is like. As the day went on my cousin told me we would be going to a party. I laughed to myself at the thought of how these "long island kids" would party. My cousin reassured me that I would have a good time, and even said we could leave early if I really wanted to.

Let's just say I did have a great time. I felt like everyone was so welcoming and open to meeting me. There were no fights or drama and everyone seemed to get along great. And even though I wasn't a familiar face no one was rude or gave dirty looks. It may seems like common courtesy to be nice to someone you just meet, or to not start fights at parties. But let’s just say in the city, these things aren't very common.

Needless to say, while in Long Island i forgot I was actually in NY and the fact that I actually was made me love this place even more. Long Island surprised me in a great way, and it is definitely a place i can see myself living in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment