This past week I went downtown to meet my best friend, who attends NYU. His dorm is two blocks away from the Union Square subway stop. I know this route by heart; walk to the 53rd and Lexington stop, take the 6 downtown to Union Square. I left my dorm around 5:30 when the sun was still up. I didn't have a set time to come back but I knew that I didn't want to stay out that late. It was my first time being out in the city alone.
We ate dinner at Cafetasia; a small, inexpensive, thai restaurant frequented by many college students on a budget. Next, I brought Matt and his friend Luke to St. Mark's place because they had never been there before, despite living only a few blocks away. We window shopped, observed the night life, and ate some Pinkberry.
At last, at 11 p.m. it was time to leave. I hadn't planned on staying out this late, let alone on a school night. I was exhausted and very anxious about the subway ride home. I did not want my first time alone on the subway to be this late. I ended up waiting for nearly 20 minutes for the next train, which did not help relieve the nervous feeling I was experiencing. With what seemed like every eye focused on me, I boarded the Uptown 6 train. I found a seat off to the side, turned my iPod on, and before I knew it, I was getting off and headed home.
I realized that the subway really is not that scary and that I actually had a better sense of direction than I thought. Even though I got lost getting off (I went through the wrong exit and found myself on 50th), I found my way home unharmed. I'm glad that my first trip alone was to a place in which I was familiar with. On Tuesday, I have my first voice lesson. My teacher says it will take nearly 45 minutes to reach her apartment. I am glad I have the confidence and the knowledge to get myself there.
No comments:
Post a Comment